Pages

Ads 468x60px

Labels

Blogger templates

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Welcome to Houston!

We are here! Cypress, Texas, a city on the edge of Houston that combines the convienience of the city while still being close enough to the country to see a little of the green I was so used to in the Piney Woods of Texas!

So far, so good! This weekend we will finish moving into our apartment for the summer, after L's parents bring the dresser and chest of drawers that we so desperately need! (I was spoiled the past two years with a closet that could have easily doubled as a spare bedroom!)

Sunday, June 3, 2012
We arrive home safe and sound from our wonderful honeymoon! First thing on the agenda: Grocery Shopping and shopping with the gift cards from the wedding! We are already so normal...

Tuesday, June 5th
I left to head back to Pittsburg to wrap up things with my old classroom, finish moving out of my little house, and hold a HUGE garage sale! 4 days was not long enough... Thankfully, I was able to get sell most everything at the garage sale and my sweet hubby let me use some of the profits get the Arthur Court A&M chip and dip platter that I had been eyeing since we registered. He is so good to me. :)

Sunday, June 10th
Our first time to go to church as a married couple! In some exploring we had done previously, we found a church that looked promising on the same road that our apartment is located on. By the way, there are TONS of churches within a few minutes drive of our home.
Bear Creek Baptist Church just seemed to jump out at me as we were driving by, and so we decided to try it out this past Sunday. We both LOVED it! There worship was a little bit more contemporary than we are used to, but the genuiness and passion that the worship leader had as he transitioned from contemporary songs to the tried and true hymns during worship really spoke to us. And the pastor was just as passionate about his desire for the church members to be involved in constantly growing their faith and knowledge. Overall, it was a better first experience than we could have prayed for and we are excited to visit their Sunday School classes next week!

Tuesday, June 11th
I got a part-time job with Chico's in the Cinco Ranch community of Katy! It is a great opportunity that not only will provide extra income during the summer, but they are considerate of teachers and will allow me to work a few hours during the school year as well! This has been a great answer to prayer since L will be finishing up his last semester in school and we are still unsure of how our finances will work out during that season of our married life.
One thing that I started praying for a few years ago was to have more faith, and it has just recently hit me, as I look back at all the things that have happened in my life (teaching in Pittsburg, not teaching in College Station/Bryan, moving to Houston, etc.), I can see the hand of the Lord in every single situation and my faith has been dramatically increased. Not only do I say "The Lord has a plan for me." but I honestly and sincerely believe it.

Culture shock: Waiting in line for 6 hours to change the name on my Driver's License! Ugh, worst experience of my life. There are no social classes at the DPS in Harris County. I did alot of people watching during my time there, and I saw the 6 figure making business woman with the genuine Prada purse sitting next to the Medicare recieving individual. Both had to wait just as excruciatingly long to recieve their services. I don't know if I'm glad that they playing field is leveled at the DPS, but I do know that it was definitely a test in being patient and gracious! A smile is contagious! My single victory during this experience is making the lady who changed my information (and took my picture for my new license) smile. :)

Thursday, June 14
I officially sign my contract to be the 4th Grade Math Teacher at McFee Elementary in Cy-Fair ISD!!!!! HUGE PRAISE!!!

This school is one of the closest schools to our apartment community AND I don't have to get on the highway to get there (that was one of my greatest concerns...lol)! As I would interview with other schools and districts, I was looking for something. It didn't have anything to do with their curriculum or technology available. I was looking for the staff relationships. One of the things that I loved the most about teaching at Pittsburg Elementary was that the teachers would do things with each other on the weekends that had nothing to do with school. I loved being able to call my principal my friend. I loved the laughter and the community on the 4th grade hall. I knew that I was going to miss that the most. During my interview with McFee Elementary, I instantly fell in love with the people there. They were passionate, friendly, considerate, had high standards, and HILARIOUS! Within 5 minutes of the interview, I knew that I wanted to work there with those people. Thankfully, the Lord and the administration of the school thought so too and offered me the job at the end of the interview! I am so psyched to be working in the top school district in the state of Texas and to be working with people that are as excited about teaching as I am. :)

I will post pictures of the completed apartment soon!

Love,
Mrs. Sullie

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sample text

Sample Text

Sample Text